Gavá – Estadi Municipal La Bóbila

by Chris Clements | Posted on Monday, March 28th, 2011
Club de Futbol Gavà started life as Gavá Athletic FC in 1922 and has spent most of the last 95 years kicking around in the Catalan regional leagues. The club lived a relatively nomadic existence in its first 25 years, playing at Camp de les Colomeres between 1931-36 and then after the Civil War, at the intriguingly named Camp de l’American Lake until 1946. By the time the club first reached the Tercera in 1956, they had changed their name to the current CF Gavà and had moved to the Camp Municipal de can Tintorer. The appearances in the Tercera were fleeting and they really did not establish themselves at the fourth level until the late 1970’s.
Gava170310a

La Bóbila looks older than it is

The 1980’s were interspersed with returns to the Catalan Primera, before CF Gavà won promotion back to the Tercera in 1994. A season later, thanks to the demise of Palamós CF, they won a play-off and promotion to Segunda B. Promotion to the third level coincided with a move to the Estadi Municipal La Bóbila. They managed a seventh place finish in 1995-96, but there followed three seasons of diminishing returns before they were relegated back to the Tercera in 1999. Seven of the next eight seasons were spent in the Tercera, with 2002-03 providing the only interlude with a season long stay back in Segunda B.

gava231009e

La Bóbila’s west side… oh, and a very big chimney!

In 2006-07, CF Gavà finished fourth in their Tercera category and in the play-offs beat Jerez CF and Poli Ejido B to gain promotion to Segunda B. 2007-08 was to be their most successful to date when, under the guidance of Antonio Llebadía, the club finished third in the league and entered the play-offs for La Segunda for the first time. Here they met SD Huesca and after a 2-2 draw at home, held the Aragonese side to a 1-1 draw in Huesca, but lost out on away goals. CF Gavà has slipped back into the Tercera in 2010, and after 6 years in the fourth tier, won promotion back to Segunda B for a fourth time.

gava200807c

La Bóbila in 2007

The municipality built La Bóbila in the mid 90’s and it is a multi-use site in the west of the town. The simple style and location, surrounded by tenements, give the impression that it is older than its 16 years. The main stand on the east side holds 800 under a propped cantilevered roof and there is a thin row of seats between the athletics track and the front of the stand. On the opposite west side is an open bank of seats and along with hard standing, the stadium has a capacity of 4,500. The more observant may also notice a 50-foot chimney slap-bang in the middle of the west seating. The municipality decided to leave it intact as a reminder of the tannery that occupied the site of the stadium before redevelopment.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.


Tags
ESTADIOS DE ESPAÑA - STADIUMS OF SPAIN