Barcelona – Nou Sardenya

by Chris Clements | Posted on Wednesday, April 6th, 2011

The northern district of Gracia is home to one of Spain’s most historic, but probably forgotten clubs, Club Esportiu Europa. Founded as Club Deportivo Europa in 1907 following the merger of Madrid de Barcelona and Provençal, the club has played at a number of rented grounds over the years, including one at Carrer Marina, in the shadows of the Sagrada Familia. Club legend has it that Antoni Gaudí would watch the team train whilst working on his masterpiece.

Europa300311a

The pitch at Calle Marina. Now a park next to La Sagrada Familia

In 1918, the lease was not renewed at Carrer Marina, and the club moved a short distance north to a pitch on the Carrer Sardenya and Carrer Industria. In 1923 the club bought a strip of land between Carrer Marina & Carrer Encarnacion and set about building its first ground. The Campo del Guinardó, as it would become known due to its proximity to the barracks in the neighbouring district, would be the home of the club during the clubs most successful period. Europa along with FC Barcelona, were the dominant forces in Catalan football in the 1920’s. Their golden season occurred in 1922-23 when the club won the Championat de Catalunya and reached the final of the Copa del Rey, only to lose 0-1 to Athletic Bilbao at Barcelona’s Les Corts stadium. Under tutelage of Englishman Ralph Kirby, the club also finished second in the Campionat on three occasions 1920-21, 1921-22 & 1923-24. Three further second place finishes followed in the 1920’s and based on this success, the club was invited to take part in the inaugural season of the Spanish Football League.

Europa010315a

Club Deportivo Europa – Champions of Catalunya 1922-23

Europa narrowly missed relegation in the first two seasons, but eventually fell to La Segunda in 1930-31. This coincided with a financial crisis which saw the club merge with Gràcia FC to form Catalunya FC for the 1931-32 season. It was not a marriage made in heaven and the club folded before the end of the season, failing to play their away matches at CD Castellon, Celta de Vigo and Sevilla FC. Gràcia FC kept Guinardó and continued in the Catalan youth leagues for a few seasons more. Europa went to the amateur leagues and played on some land at the top of Carrer Sardenya. After the Civil War, the pitch on Carrer Sardenya was unusable, so the club moved around for a year or so until Camp Sardenya opened on 1 December 1940. It was a basic ground of terracing with a dirt pitch, but three years later the club built a 1,000 seat grandstand from the proceeds of the transfer of Antoni Ramalletts to FC Barcelona, and it was Barca who were the guests on 26 January 1944 when the new stand was officially opened. 1960 saw the installation of a grass pitch (later removed) and floodlights followed in 1963.

Europa180416l

Europa play Deportivo La Coruña (2-0 19/03/1964)

The Sixties also saw the club win promotion to La Segunda and their first season in the second tier in 1963-64, almost saw the club win promotion back to La Primera. They finished in third position, one place and two points off a play-off berth. Europa survived for four further seasons until the reorganisation of La Segunda from two regional to one national league, saw the club return the the Tercera. Apart from a rather sorry performance in Segunda B in 1994-95, the club has spent the majority of the past forty five years in the Tercera.

Europa180416h

Old and tired. Camp Sardenya in the early 1990’s

In the 1980’s, the urban sprawl of Barcelona began to strangle the Camp Sardenya and with the construction of the northern ring-road, the club saw some of its offices and terracing reduced. Finally in 1990, the municipality decided to completely redevelop the site and Camp Sandenya was demolished. For three seasons, the club shared its home matches at UE Sant Andreu’s Narcis Sala and UE Sants’ Camp Magòria. However, what the club returned to was a vast improvement on Camp Sardenya and an ingenious piece of urban architecture.
Europa170411a

Nou Sardenya takes shape in 1994

Officially opened on 4 May 1995, Nou Sardenya occupies the site of the former ground, only it is approximately 5 metres higher. That is down to the fact that the stadium sits on top of a municipal sports centre and underground car park. Along the north side of the ground is a modern 1,144 seat cantilevered stand, whilst five steps of blue and white terracing surround the remainder of the ground. Not an inch of space is wasted as the club offices sit in the vaults under the west terrace.

Europa310308a

Not an inch wasted. Entrance to the Sports centre is below the nearest goal

The whole complex still looks spruce and when I visited it in March 2011, it was being utilised by every conceivable age-group, from local school kids on the artificial turf to pensioners doing aqua-aerobics in the sport centre’s pool. Europa is a genuine community club that is proud of its history, but still wants to make its mark as a football club. Just as they did in 1997 & 1998 when they beat FC Barcelona, containing the likes of Stoichkov, de la Pena, Couto, Sergi & Reiziger, to win the Copa Catalunya. You can read more about this historic club on their Official Website.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Tags
ESTADIOS DE ESPAÑA - STADIUMS OF SPAIN